08/22/2017 - General Manager, The Siren Hotel, Detroit
ASH NYC and the team behind our current project in Detroit are actively seeking candidates for the position of General Manager for immediate hire.
The Wurlitzer Building is a landmark, 47,060 square foot, 13-story building. Designed in the Renaissance Revival style and opened in December 1926, this 13-story building once housed the famous Wurlitzer Co., which made pianos, organs, jukeboxes, radios and instruments and which also housed a music school.
ASH NYC has identified Detroit, the downtown neighborhood, and the Wurlitzer Building specifically, as a logical expansion of its hospitality division, with projects completed in Providence, R.I. and underway in New Orleans, LA (projected opening early 2018).
The hotel at the Wurlitzer will join the ongoing downtown Detroit renaissance in perhaps the best location in the city and it will be comprised of 106 rooms across five categories including eight striking penthouse floor lofted suites. The hotel will house five vibrant food and beverage spaces housing riveting local operators.
The hotel will maintain and embrace the traces of grand Detroit that have remained throughout years of neglect and blight: delicate and gracefully aged travertine floors will be brought back to their original grandeur; intricate Art Deco cast iron stair railings are restored and the original façade with terracotta ornamental details is being given a new lease on life in a careful historic renovation.
The second coming of the Wurlitzer in hotel form will be enhanced by vintage and antique furniture and lighting sourced from around the globe, and will sit amongst a fully-custom furniture and fixture package, designed internally by ASH NYC. Art, food, beverage and entertainment will enliven the once hallowed halls of the old Wurlitzer. And a team comprised of diverse individuals guiding guests through the rebirth of the great city of Detroit, and a deep knowledge of historic, cultural and design references will lead the way.
The General Manager will supervise the overall operation, sales, marketing and logistics for the hotel. The physical asset management and upkeep of the property, budgeting, cost analysis, payroll and staffing, talent management, yield management in line with maximization of revenue generation and the resulting financial outcomes will be tasks intrinsic to the role. The position will also entail close communication with the head company and ownership group, as well as any other duties required for the complete oversight consistent with the first class and unique hotel operation as conceptualized by ASH NYC.
Description of essential skills and responsibilities
Financial Stewardship and Revenue Management
• Carry out comprehensive market analysis of competitors’ guestroom rates on a daily basis and for the foreseeably future;
• Construct accurate forecasts for market conditions and patterns, considering particularly impacting events that may affect business levels;
• Strategize and deliver sales efforts as established by the head company and according to projections determined in cooperation with ownership group;
• Build, deliver and ensure complete comprehension by sales, front office, reservations and other team members of rate structures and best in class strategies for competitive yield management practices and procedures;
• Train staff members across departments and functions to continuously apply sales and branding techniques to best deliver the product.
• The GM should efficiently build annual budgets considering a careful forecast in operating expenses and labor cost;
• Utilize business forecasts to budget accurately for labor expenses in accordance with staffing model and requirements; control other business expenses in a balance manner with demand volume and closely monitor utilities and other operational expenses to the most effective and appropriate standards;
• Exercise careful adjustment of expenses and revenue streams to ensure consistency of profit margins and achieve previously determined financial returns targets. The role will also entail the close analysis of variances in results as well as the application of effective corrective action to mitigate similar future events;
• The role will demand pro-activity in the protection of corporate financial assets and the correct utilization of policies and procedures to handle all types of financial transactions.
• The General Manager must successfully train or develop training programs for team members to perform correct procedures and SOP’s in accordance with company standards and as required to fulfill an elevated guest experience;
• The position will involve instances that demand direct involvement in the handling of difficult service interactions, complaints and dissatisfaction for the services or facilities provided. The GM will also ensure that all team members are well prepared and empowered to correctly handle instances of negative feedback and guest interactions;
• Guarantee the correct monitoring, compliance and engagement of Director of Brand & Culture with guest feedback and other reviews provided through any channel.
• Recruitment, selection, training and engagement of all team members in order to promote correct career development of associates all while delivering superior guest experience and asset management;
• The General Manager must enforce and uphold the highest standards of conduct, business ethics and general workplace well being. It is of the high order to conduct business in a most professional fashion under the principles established by the head company and the brand values;
• Design and implement associate satisfaction reviews and undertake corrective action whenever required. Correct and healthy levels of associate turnover must be maintained.
• The General Manager must act as a steward of the guest experience by ensuring the physical condition of the hotel, its facilities and amenities, as determined by service requirements and ownership-defined policies;
• Collaborate with input when capital budgeting for the property and monitor the close implementation and adherence to the these guidelines and goals;
• Ensure outstanding performance scores in quality assurance program reviews, mystery shopper programs and other feedback, setting forth corrective action whenever appropriate/necessary.
Community Engagement and Curatorship
• The position asks for close relationships with neighbors and local stakeholders. Engagement of team members, their networks and that of commercial associates and city influencers are essential.
• The role demands the responsibility of curating the experience guests, team members, business associates, vendors, city officials and neighbors receive in interacting with the hotel at the Wurlitzer. A proclivity to cultivate and maintain these responsibilities is inherent to the role.
• Must possess appropriate oral and written communication skills as well superior ability to convey important operational information to all associates in every department.
• Excellent analytical skills and superior decision making skills, particularly under the strain of busy hospitality operations are essential.
• Hospitality and hotel opening experience preferred. A very high, natural awareness for the local market, the hotel industry and peer areas of interest such as the arts, design, music and community engagement are highly preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
A cover letter stating relevant experience and skills
A resume or CV that clearly documents the required qualifications
03/09/2017 - Design Intern
ASH NYC is hiring a Design Intern focused on internal ASH hospitality projects.
• Understanding of ASH NYC design philosophy
• Ability to be strong team member to collaborate on creation of concept renderings
• Understanding of interior finishes, materials, and FF&E design with hospitality focus
• Interest in vintage and contemporary furniture, lighting and fixtures
• Capable of understanding projects from schematic design through construction documents, with desire to develop skills to translate concept into reality
• Currently pursuing Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Interior Design and/or Product/Industrial Design and/or Architecture
• Highly proficient in AutoCAD, Rhino, 3ds Max, Vray, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Suite
• Ability to work well with colleagues, clients, vendors and construction managers
• Excellent presentation skills and strong communicator with the ability to work in a team environment
• Possesses strong organizational and problem solving skills, prioritizes and handles multiple deadlines with no hesitation
To apply, please submit the following to email@example.com:
• A cover letter stating relevant experience and skills
• A resume or CV that clearly documents the required qualifications
• A portfolio of your work with indication of your involvement in the projects included